The village of Sant Martí Sarroca has grown under the castle built on the hill (the hill of the rock). The site, located at the confluence of several streams (Foix river and Pontons torrent, mainly) has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the remains found from the Neolithic and, especially, the Roman era (graves, windmills and kilns).

Since the Middle Ages, it became a consolidated settlement. First of all, at the hill where most of the population remained until the late XIX century. At the castle, stones and arches from the Visigoths have been found. The town has its own letter of municipality since 1385, but during the Middle Ages its population was not extensive. It is important to bear in mind that this place was at that time a borderland between Christians and Muslims and, therefore, a risky area.

In the late XIX century, the City Hall, the schools, the courthouse, the cemetery and the shops were still at the top of the hill. The flatlands were an isolated area where only some farmhouses had been built, such as Cal Possastre.

With the growth of the town outside the castle and beneath the hill, some of the first streets created were the Ferran Muñoz and the Casetes (small houses). The old road linking the villages of Vilafranca and La Llacuna passed through these streets. The construction of the present road in 1880 stimulated the expansion of the town and the development of new streets. Cal Lluís was built during this process in la font street (which means the fountain street).


Restaurant Cal Lluis 1887
T. 938 991 001


Carrer de la Font 34
08731 Sant Martí Sarroca

Facebook Enoturisme